Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Feldherr XL figure case

Whether you attend a tourney or need some secure space to storage your miniatures, you need a bag, case, storage for your loads of miniatures. My choice fell on one of the figure cases from Feldherr. The Feldherr XL to be precise. The case has room for 252 figures and if you choose the smaller foams it seems there is even place for one complete level more, so you could store arround 280 miniatures. But this will only work if you have small miniatures, even with my old Skaven and the bigger models I would not use the smallest foam trays.

Feldherr XL figure case
Feldherr XL figure case


Contents of the set 


The Feldherr XL can be ordered in different sets, depending on your wishes. I ordered the standard XL set which contains of the hardcase and 7 foam trays, the needed tape and a additional foamsheet to cover the upmost layer. It is delivered unassembled, so you have to glue the foam tray & sheet together. If you have a friend to help you with this, this is done in roughly 15-20 minutes. The trays have inlays, so that you can fill it with miniatures as you wish. If you have some bigger ones, you can easily widen the cutouts, e.g. to fit in a standard bearer. The foam trays in this set are not suited to contain cavalry or monsters, this set is completly designed to store hordes of standard infantry.

Loaded foam trays
Loaded foam trays

Stability


Depending on the manufacturers information, the plastic of the case is roughly 25mm thick. I can only say this thing is massive. By accident the case fell of my storage rack (which is about 2 meters high) fully loaded with my dark elves and skaven white metall miniatures. It gave a loud BANG and the case bounced a bit on my floor. And with what effect? None! The case has no sign of it and the miniatures were completly safe and nothing broke or fell of. I was really astounded. This case really lives up to its promises.
On top of that, Feldherr gives a 5 year warranty on their cases, they are pretty confident on their products.

Secure storage for your miniatures
Secure storage for your miniatures

Real live usage


On thing from the start: If you carry arround your army in this figure case and start assembling your army on a tourney shortly before a game, your opponent will kill you. The case is perfect for transporting everything, it even has enough room to stuff your army book, templates and rule book (if you have the small one) in it. But since it can hold so many miniatures you will need time to get everything out. For this usecase a fully magnetized case would be better I think. But if you calculate this time in your schedule, noone will be offended.

Fully loaded and ready to go...
Fully loaded and ready to go...

For storing your miniatures at home the figure case is a dream. It is robust, has a secure closing lid and you can staple the cases on top of each other. If your playing a horde army like me and only have place for one display case, it is hardly possible to top this case in my opinion. Most manufacturers have only bags or rollies but hard cases are seldom. But: For anything else than infantry I think this case, in my setup, is not suited. For this  you have to change the foam trays (which is possible without any problems).

Conclusion


I do not regret buying this case, on the contrary. 70€ seems alot but if you think about it, this set offers a good price/performance ratio. Sometimes there are sales promotions where you get good discounts (I got mine for 60€ I think). If you have space problems like me, this case is a real life safer. I stored nearly my whole dark elf army in it and 2 layers are full of Skaven. I'm afraid that in the near future I need a second one (especially when my chaos dwarves arrive).

Cat safe storage for your miniatures
Cat safe storage for your miniatures :)
Hope this was helpful for you.


So long,
Paradox0n


2 comments:

  1. Great product review. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I should be flattered. The first time a real spambot tried to comment here. With a perfectly matched spam message. Technical wonders... :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts